Amazon recently saw a massive server crash that took down thousands of applications and popular online services like Netflix, Tinder, Airbnb, Reddit and a few of Amazon’s own services. A simple TYPO – an incorrectly typed command caused this huge outage.
Amazon is among the biggest names in the cloud industry, but could not prevent this server outage. So, no matter how well you maintain your servers, a crash or a failure can occur, resulting in service disruption for you and your customers. This disruption translates to unplanned and extended downtime, high stress and thousands of dollars in lost business opportunities.
Servers are the heart of any business, so their health upkeep is important to run business applications, databases, or internet websites seamlessly. Just like regular health check-ups are the key to prevent any kind of health issue before it turns into a crisis, similarly, regular monitoring of servers can also prevent them from crashing unexpectedly and in enabling you to be alerted as soon as some outage is detected.
Benefits of server monitoring tools
It is quite annoying when you get 404 error or are not able to get important mails as the servers are down. Don’t you feel like tracing what went wrong?
Thus, monitoring tools for servers become essential for any business to pre-detect problematic issues and in case an outage happens, perform root cause analysis to avoid downtime and promote faster turnaround. Following are the summarized benefits of a server monitoring tool for an organization:
1. Proactively and quickly detect outages and protocol failures.
2. Provides trend identification and capacity planning of the server resources.
3. Enables you to address unattended situations and performance bottlenecks, that may lead to revenue loss and downtime.
4. Notifies authorized personnel at your site in the event of a problem.
5. Helps system admins to verify and confirm the availability and status of the servers and application processes.
6. Helps you troubleshoot server issues and improve server performance.
How to choose an ideal web server performance monitoring tool?
There are many server and network monitoring software available, that give a business the ability to monitor its network in real-time, while providing visibility into where possible issues might arise.
But selecting the right server performance monitoring software is critical for quick issue detection and its resolution before the issue or network failure occurs. It’s recommended that you choose a monitoring software that is compatible with your operating system, and fits in your budget too.
1. Red Hat – A Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Health Check offers multi- grade security technologies to identify configuration, update, security and performance issues that might impact a business. This Linux server performance monitoring tool helps ensure that your business is operating with maximum security and efficiency.
2. Nagios – Nagios is the IT Infrastructure monitoring and alerting tool that monitors all mission critical infrastructure components- servers, switches, applications and services. It is rated as the best server monitoring software in the industry as it views security threats, audits systems, identifies trends and analyzes networks too.
3. PRTG – PRTG network monitoring service is a unified solution that monitors all types of server -mail servers, file servers, database servers, virtual servers and web servers. It also monitors bandwidth usage, network devices, servers, remote systems, virtual environments and more by using SNMP and WMI, Netflow and Packet Sniffing. This web server performance software supports both Windows and Linux platforms and auto discovers your network.
4. Cacti – Cacti, the web-based network graphing tool, is built upon RRD tool-the underlying software and data logging tool. It comes with SMTP support, built in user management tool and PHP driven frontend.
It helps you to monitor network traffic by polling; graph data metrics – CPU load and network bandwidth utilization; maintain data sources and round robin archives in a database; and handle the data gathering too.
Questions to ask before selecting a server monitoring service
All server experts monitor your servers 24×7, evaluate the priority of the alerts, and issue emergency resolution when needed. But it is necessary to know about the monitoring tools they offer and their effectiveness prior to choosing one for your server.
Below mentioned five key questions you’d need them to address for you, to gain an assurance about the effectiveness of their system:
- What effective solution they will use to monitor your server?
- What will they do to maintain server uptime? Will they coordinate with the data center?
- Will they alert you if something goes wrong in your servers?
- What preventive measures they will use in case someone cries wolf?
- What advantages you would gain from their monitoring services?
So, pick up the correct one for your server and relax. If you have any query regarding our server monitoring tools, drop your comment and our server experts would be happy to help.