Setting Up Netscape® Mail for POP3
1. To set up your mail account, open Netscape Mail.
2. Select Edit / Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings.
3. Click the Add Account button. The Account Wizard will appear. Navigate through the following wizard windows:
New Account Setup Window
Click the Email account button.
1. Enter your name in the Your Name box. This is the name that will appear in the ‘From’ field of the messages you send.
2. Enter your email address in the Email Address box (e.g., email@example.com).
Server Information Window
To use the POP server:
1. Click the POP button.
2. In the Incoming Server box, enter the name of the POP server: pop.emailsrvr.com.
To use the IMAP server:
1. Click the IMAP button.
2. In the Incoming Server box, enter the name of the IMAP server: imap.emailsrvr.com. If the Outgoing Server box is available, enter the name of the SMTP server: smtp.emailsrvr.com. If the field is not available, Netscape Mail will use the default outgoing server.
User Names Window
1. Enter your email address in the Incoming User Name box. Please note that your user name is your entire email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Enter the same email address in the Outgoing User Name box.
Account Name Window
Enter a descriptive name for your mail account. For example, Work Mail or Home Mail.
Review the information provided. To make changes, click the Back button to return to previous windows in the Account Wizard. Click the Finish button.
Before you can start sending email, you will need to select Edit / Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings. Click the Outgoing Server (SMTP) link. In the Port box, enter the default outgoing port 587 or the alternate port 8025.
Account Preferences- Assigning SSL Secure Server Settings
The SSL protocol allows you to send and receive secure mail messages.
1. To send messages over a secure connection, select Edit / Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings.
2. Select and expand your mail account, located in the left sidebar pane.
3. Click the Server Settings link.
4. Check the Use secure connection (SSL) box.
5. Note the server type displayed in the Server Type area. Enter the secure server name and confirm the default port number:
Server Type Server Name Port
POP Mail Server secure.emailsrvr.com 995
6. Click the Outgoing Server (SMTP) link, located in the left sidebar pane.
7. In the ’Use secure connection’ section, click the SSL button.
8. Enter the secure server name and confirm the default port number:
Secure Connection Server Name Port
SSL secure.emailsrvr.com 465, 587 or 8025
9. Be sure that the User name and password box is checked and that your email address appears in the User Name box.
10. Click the OK button.
Note: Some ISPs do not allow their customers to use third-party SMTP servers.
Leaving a Copy of Messages on the Server (POP Only)
1. To leave a copy of messages on the server, select Edit / Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings.
2. Select and expand your POP mail account, located in the left sidebar pane.
3. Click the Server Settings link.
4. Check the Leave messages on server box.
5. To avoid exceeding your account’s storage limits, indicate whether the server should delete messages after a certain number of days, or if the server should delete messages when you manually delete or move them from the Inbox.
6. Click the OK button.
Importing Address Books, Mail, and Settings
1. Select Tools / Import. The Import Wizard will appear.
2. Click the Address Books, Mail, or Settings button and then click the Next button.
3. Select an email application or the Text file option (address books only) from the list and then click the Next button.
4. Netscape Mail will automatically import your address books, mail, or settings, or it will prompt you to locate and select the export text file (LDIF, .tab, .csv, or .txt).
5. Netscape Mail will display a confirmation message, indicating whether importation was successful. Click the Finish button.
Note: To export an address book, open the Address Book and select an address book from the Address Books pane. Select Tools / Export. Select a location, name, and file type for the export file, and then click the Save button.