WebMatrix is a lightweight, free, cloud-connected web development tool for Windows. It enables developers to create, publish, and maintain websites using popular open-source applications or built-in templates with great ease. It offers support for ASP.NET, HTML 5, Node.js and PHP and was developed to provide web developers with different capabilities, including coding, customization and publishing at single place.
There are three ways to create a new site using WebMatrix.
These are the steps to create a website from an OSS web application using WebMatrix:
1. Choose App Gallery on the WebMatrix Quick Start page.
2. Choose an application from the Site from Web Gallery wizard. All categories such as blogs, CMS, forums etc. can be browsed in the left panel or any specific application can be searched using the search bar on the top right corner. Sorting of applications is done depending upon the number of downloads.
3. Installation process also varies according to the chosen application. In this tutorial, Joomla! is used as an example.
4. If there's an option of selecting more than one database, you can select it from the list or can use the default one. Then enter the admin password for the database (root for MySQL and sa for SQL Server).
5. Click on I Accept and accept the EULA for installing an application and any other dependencies. For instance, in case PHP or SQL Server was not deployed, then it would show in this list.
6. If any other application parameters need to be entered, then provide them and then click on Next.
7. Information about database connection is displayed on completion of installation. You may be asked to put this information again in some applications, so use Copy To Clipboard link to copy it.
8. On clicking OK, the workspace is opened by WebMatrix for the site and it is also launched in the browser. Some additional steps may be required by few applications which can be completed by using the opened browser page.
ZNetLive is a certified Microsoft Gold Hosting partner and provides Webmatrix 3 free with every Windows hosting account.