“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.”– Warren Buffett, CEO Berkshire Hathaway.
For any business, good reputation implies satisfied customers, improved market position and credibility among shareholders and investors. One of the most fundamental factors to build this reputation is the protection of client information. This leads to trust of the customer on a business and is a big benefit among various other data security benefits, as a lack of trust may get your business out of track.
In December 2010, Gawker media experienced a major business drawback when they had to face a data breach. The consequences of the data breach were hard to accept with data loss of about 1.3 million commenters, including their e-mail addresses and passwords. They even had to bear the theft of the source code of their custom-built content management system.
Now such an event may leave your company’s reputation and financial status at stake. Data breaches are not a new concept. Every year sees a lot of data breach cases, some are publicly disclosed while the others are dealt internally by any organization.
But what exactly accounts for a data breach? Or what all factors lead to a data breach? For knowing that, we need to understand it in detail.
What is a data breach?
Wikipedia explains a data breach as, “An intentional or unintentional release of secure information to an untrusted environment.” This means that a data breach may result in the loss of sensitive, protected and confidential data, as the data gets into the hands of an unauthorized person.
A data breach can hit a company’s reputation and financial status very badly. More than the financial impact, it can raise questions on a company’s security arrangements and backup plans. This is because it is not merely a technical glitch, it leads to higher consequences, like:
- Lost business details like customer information including names and account passwords, email IDs etc.
- For e-commerce companies, it may be an incident causing disclosure of their customer’s credit and debit card details.
- For organizations which are involved in protecting a country’s citizens’ details, finance, defense or other intelligence bureau information, a data breach may lead to serious consequences when confidential data lands up into the hands of unauthorized people.
Apart from knowing the consequences a data breach can bring, it is also important to know how a breach occurs. The factors or reasons that lead to a data breach are:
- Phishing: An act of sending fake emails that seem to be from reputed companies and demanding personal information of the clients.
- Hacking: An act of getting unauthorized access to the company’s confidential data by injecting viruses like malware.
- Denial of service: When the server stops responding to the user requests due to a DDoS attack.
- Any employee error, physical theft, misplaced data can also lead to a data breach.
Thus, as a business entity, you should know what is a data breach and how it can affect your business’s bottom line. There are a number of strategies and solutions which can help you safeguard your business against data breaches. Let’s have a look at them:
Measures and solutions to prevent data breaches
There are a lot of solutions which can help you protect your data and information in a better way.
Hosting your applications and data on cloud
Yes! Despite all the arguments regarding cloud security, the fact is it offers you maximum security.
The reason is that the cloud providers understand the importance of data security and as such, put more emphasis on securing the data in cloud as compared to any other hosting platform. They take effective measures to protect their client’s information and valuable data.
The private cloud model is specifically designed to give a protected framework to the users.
Website hosting with SSL certification
According to GlobalSign – the leading SSL certification provider, “SSL Certificates are small data files that digitally bind a cryptographic key to an organization’s details. When installed on a web server, it activates the padlock and the https protocol and allows secure connections from a web server to a browser.”
Thus, it helps you to secure your client’s information during transaction, like credit card details, data transfers, login details, etc. HTTPS – the secure protocol for communication, and the green bar that gets enabled when you take SSL, have now become an indication of authentic websites and social media platforms. It even helps in increasing your website’s search engine ranking.
- Choosing a Cloud based Disaster Recovery (DR) plan
Having a well-designed cloud-based data recovery plan may help you recover your data and sustain your business in case of any mishap. In DR, the data is automatically saved on a remote server as a backup and hence can be accessed as and when required.
What security measures does ZNetLive take to secure your data and information?
At ZNetLive, we believe in giving enterprise-grade security solutions to our customers to protect their valuable data and information. As cloud service providers, we make sure that all our products and services are equipped with proper security measures to avoid any data loss or breach.
Our cloud DR and backup plans ensure the availability of your data even at the time of any event or mishap. Apart from this, we offer the following security measures to safeguard your information with different services, plans and billing cycles:
- We provide free basic DDoS protection with all the servers, including both manual and automated detection of pre-defined rules, thus preventing small DDoS attacks. In larger attacks, the IP being hacked is disabled to protect other IPs and services.
- Our security solution- StopTheHacker has been specifically designed to safeguard your website. With continuous monitoring of your site, it detects malware, performs automatic cleanup of viruses, malware and finds other security loopholes.
- Our email protection software- SpamAssasin integrates with your mail system and helps you in blocking any spam, unsolicited emails.
- NetCraft – our Phishing Compromise Alert Service, prevents cyber-criminals from using your website for hosting their phishing pages with round the clock alerts.
- We offer security solutions to provide 360-degree protection to our customers’ online businesses. Hence, our SSL certificates come with free phishing and malware detection suites, thus protecting you on all fronts.
A data breach can not only harm your business’s bottom line but also affect the reputation of your firm. By taking preventive measures and by choosing the right host, you can secure your data from the malicious attacks of viruses and any unauthorized access.
Feel free to share your queries about website security through the comment section below, and we will be happy to assist you!
Services ZNetLive offer:
Priya an ambivert by nature, believes in giving shape to her ideas through her write ups. She is an intellectual person who loves exploring and researching about new things. In her free times she loves reading novels along with some soft music.