Google recently rolled out its new mobile-friendly algorithm, nicknamed- Mobilegeddon. It is set out to affect a large number of websites pan world as just before the launch, Zineb Ait Bahajji, Google’s Webmaster Trends analyst disclosed, “the upcoming mobile-friendly algorithm will impact more sites than their Panda or Penguin algorithms.”
Now this new algorithm is here and as per Google- “Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results.
This clearly shows that with Google’s new algorithm, sites that are mobile friendly stand to get better ranking in search results over those that aren’t mobile-friendly. So, if you want to gain from this new search algorithm, then you should make your website mobile-friendly.
With Mobilegeddon, Google also implements another change of providing proper app content in search results. With Google’s new app indexing feature, users can come to your app when they query from their Android phone or from search results. For more insight, check out Google Guide to App Indexing.
How do I check if my website is optimized for mobiles?
If you hadn’t given much thought to devising a mobile strategy for your website, then it’s the right time to look into it. You can test whether your website is optimized to look good on mobiles by using some very powerful tools that Google offers.
- You can also quickly take a mobile-friendly test of your website here.
- If you want to check how your website looks on mobile, then test the “mobile usability report” of your website here.
This webmaster tool gives mobile-view of your website and also recommends the essential fixes (as shown in the image) that can be done for making it mobile friendly.
- You can test your website loading time here . If your website takes so much time to upload, then you need a responsive website so as to make it look good across devices of different sizes.
Services ZNetLive offer:
How can I make my website mobile-friendly?
1) Go for responsive web design:
Google also suggests responsive design as a number one designing pattern.
A responsive website provides a perfect-view to site-visitors, no matter which kind of desktop or android phone they are using. Actually, it adapts to the screen size of your tablet, mobile or your browser. So, it provides the best quality experience. It also reduces the loading time of a website.
Know more about responsive design, here.
2) Choose dynamic serving approach
You can make your website mobile-friendly by creating your website using the dynamic serving approach. In this approach, URL is the same but the HTML and CSS of website change according to the device you use- desktop, mobile, tablet etc.
Know more about dynamic serving, here.
3) Opt for separate mobile website
So many commercial and social-sites have their separate mobile websites now-a-days. For example, Facebook uses facebook.com for its desktop users and m.facebook.com for its mobile users. Mobile website adapts to the screen-size of visitor’s mobile and showcases your website effectively.
Know more about mobile website, here.
The giant of web’s new algorithm is really going to help businesses with mobile-friendly websites rank higher in search results. You too can join the party by optimizing your website for mobiles. 🙂
If you have any query then feel free to share with me through comments below.
Relevant Blogs –
- How to create a website?
- 5 Simple and Easy Tips to Increase Website Speed
- 6 Tips to Make Your Website SEO-friendly
Latest posts by Priyanka (see all)
- 15 Best ways to Promote Your Website Online - June 13, 2015
- 5 Benefits of WordPress hosting over shared hosting for your WordPress site/blog - May 14, 2015
- 5 ways to monetize your website or blog - May 9, 2015