The primary intention of each and every website, whether business, informational, gaming, social networking or any other, is to attract heavy inflow of visitors. In order to get this flow of visitors, a website has to show high up in the search engine’s results when visitors search for a particular website’s related services. For example, Dominos and PizzaHut would want that whenever someone searches for “order pizza”, “best pizza restaurants” at Google, their website should be first in the search results.
To have your website rank up higher in search results, you have to make it Search Engine Friendly with several techniques to let Google know that your website is relevant to the keywords being searched. This task of making your website search engine friendly is known as Search Engine Optimization.
What is an SEO-friendly website?
It’s not rocket science, but any website that fulfils some basic parameters of search engines like google, is SEO-friendly. And, these parameters are related to website elements like quality of content, relevancy of keywords, ease of site navigation, structure of links and most importantly reader satisfaction.
Following are 6 simple and easy guidelines to make your website SEO-friendly:
1. Publish Useful and Quality Content
When a visitor visits a site in search of some information, he hopes to get quality content, but if he comes across some irrelevant content, he closes the website immediately. This can lower a site’s reputation and in worst cases, the viewer can report to the search engine for blacklisting that site.
Always keep in mind to produce quality content for publishing on your website, which should be very useful and highly informational for the users, because search engines use techniques that can differentiate between useful content and spamming.
- Providing engaging content to your readers will increase time spent on your website. Search engines take this as a positive vote by the readers, and ranks a page higher up.
- Keeping your content fresh with regular updates, as search engines give high priority to new data. Write relevant blogs.
2. Use Proper Keywords
Keywords or key phrases, are those words which are entered by users into a search engine to look for specific websites. When someone types a keyword, search engines like Google look for the relevancy of that particular keyword to your website. When the keywords being searched match the content of the website, the web page is shown in search results.
You can also tell Google that which keywords are relevant to your website by including them in your website content and coding. Proper use of keywords, is the most important factor, for your website to be found by search engines. Search engines put pages with more instances of the searched keyword to a higher rank.
- Use such keywords to describe your webpage which are most searched after in your niche.
- Use different and unique keywords to describe each page of your website.
- Keep an eye on keyword density i.e. total no. of times keyword appears per hundred words of the content. It should be between ranges of 3 to 4 %, any more than that would be considered spamming and using less might make a page considered lesser useful.
3. Use Strategic keyword Placement
The placement of keywords on a webpage, is the single most influential factor for search engines to determine, how useful the page is. You need to blend your creativity with keywords to achieve strategic placement of keywords.
- Create attention grabbing titles with keyword density of 30-70 %.
- Use keywords in Meta title and Meta description. Only these two elements are displayed on the search results page.
- Use short and complete Meta description, as complete descriptions give more authenticity to the information.
- Include keywords in the first and last 25 words of the content, along with at least a single appearance of the keyword in each paragraph.
4. Get Rid of Traps
- Instead of images, use CSS effects which can create similar effects as images.
- Place image descriptions around images, so that search engines can read them. Use keywords in image descriptions to relate it to the content.
- Also, use the word – image or picture in image description, so they are also found in relevant image searches.
5. Optimize Links & Backlinks
Backlinks are the links that redirect users from other sites to your site. And having backlinks from other sites is considered by search engines as a site being popular and more useful.
- Focus on getting quality backlinks, as one quality backlink is more beneficial than tens of mediocre backlinks. Getting quality backlink means getting a backlink from a popular site, and it significantly improves traffic to your site, as well as its SEO ranking.
- You can exchange links with other relevant sites, placing their link on your site, if they place your link on their site.
- Make sure your website pages are “Inter-linked” properly.
- Optimize URL of each page by proper formatting and intertwining it with descriptive keywords. Example: http://blog.example.com/index/category/descriptive_page_name
6. Optimize Site for Easy Navigation
If your site is easy to navigate, not only will it be user-friendly, but also SEO-friendly and ranking higher on search engine results. Adopting following techniques will also make your site search engine friendly:
- Increase your website loading speed, fast loading sites are ranked higher.
- Make each page of your site accessible with at the max four clicks from homepage.
- Use text links instead of image links.
If you have any questions, kindly use the comments section below. 🙂
- How to optimize your website for SEO?
- 5 Simple and Easy Tips to Increase Website Speed
- How Google’s Mobilegeddon can affect your website’s ranking?
- 6 Ways to Increase Your Website Traffic?
Pavan takes care of clients’ communication at ZNetLive. He has a deep understanding of email techniques and best practices and keeps looking for new and innovative approaches to interact with clients as per their needs. An avid reader with an interest in writing, he can be found researching latest technologies when free. ......