Stage has been set for digital transformation, some organizations are digital ready and some are transforming gradually. Businesses today are certainly going for ‘cloud first’ in their decisions due to the multidimensional values delivered by the cloud – top level competencies, scalable infrastructure, ability to manage increasing amounts of data, cost benefits, agility and more.
“Organizations embracing dynamic, cloud-based operating models position themselves better for cost optimization and increased competitiveness.”- Mr. Anderson, Research director at Gartner.
Therefore, in today’s environment, a business strategy without cloud is quite risky. Enterprises that are transforming to a cloud- based environment need to have a clearly defined cloud strategy, to differentiate themselves from the herd. For this, they need to have an idea of the trends in the cloud industry and how these can impact their business.
To help you out, we have summarized major cloud computing trends of the 21st century and planning considerations for the cloud-focused enterprises from a research by Gartner.
The key takeaways:
- Building, implementing and maturing cloud strategies will be on high priority.
- Multi cloud will become the de facto standard, instead of full scale migration to a single cloud.
- Majority of organizations will live in a hybrid world.
Predicted cloud computing trends in the 21st century
1. Building, implementing and maturing cloud strategies will be on high priority.
Organizations are embracing cloud to implement frameworks which will help them build centers of excellence, provide services more efficiently, utilize better IT architecture and gain competitive advantage in their industry.
Gartner predicts that by 2018, 50% of the applications hosted in the public cloud will be considered mission-critical by the organizations that use them.
Organizations will move their workloads to the public cloud at an increased rate to support their mission critical workloads which will increase their confidence, while expanding the required ecosystem to support critical work environments.
Also, Gartner predicts that through 2020, cloud adoption strategies will influence more than 50 percent of IT outsourcing deals.
Increased cloud adoption will lead to more external IT sourcing decisions because not all organizations are armed with skilled technical teams to adopt and manage various aspects of cloud and outsourcing helps with speedy implementation, cost effective migration and support from experts in the field.
2. Multi-cloud will become the de facto standard instead of whole scale migration to a single cloud.
“Multi cloud usage will drive cloud management platform growth”- Gartner
Cloud market is very competitive due to innovative platform offerings of different cloud providers and this causes organizations to choose one provider for one best suited application, while another for some other application.
With time, organizations have recognized that whole scale migration to a single cloud provider introduces potential risks like service unavailability, less-than-ideal placement of applications and vendor lock-in.
Therefore, many organizations prefer and will select an ecosystem of vendors to leverage benefits that come with using multiple cloud solutions like cost-saving opportunities, alignment with existing investments and better solutions.
3. Majority of organizations will live in a hybrid world
“By 2020, 90 Percent of Organizations Will Adopt Hybrid Infrastructure Management”- Gartner
Gartner research shows that there will be a massive shift from traditional datacenter to hybrid IT paradigms due to the continuing cloud growth and industrialized services and the decline of traditional data center outsourcing (DCO).
“As the demand for agility and flexibility grows, organizations will shift toward more industrialized, less-tailored options. Organizations that adopt hybrid infrastructure will optimize costs and increase efficiency.” – DD Mishra, Research Director, Gartner
So, the hybrid architecture will become the de facto standard that will help organizations to extend beyond their data centers and into cloud services across multiple platforms. Thus, organizations will have to pay cautious attention to the architectures for identity, networking and security components. For this, they will need a clever evaluation of architectural approaches and investments made.
Setting priorities – key planning considerations for IT companies in the 21st century
- Adopt cloud first strategy to maximize your profitability in the long run. Design a proper roadmap to optimize your workloads and prepare your staff, systems, processes and tools for cloud through proper IT assessment, planning and building strategies. For all new workloads, public cloud is the first choice but to determine the appropriate tier of cloud services to use, consider the value proposition of each:
SaaS – for non- mission critical areas.
PaaS – for applications to be developed in-house or for open-source solutions.
IaaS – for on-premise workloads that can be virtualized today.
- Appoint a dedicated cloud architect that will direct a cloud core team and address organizational transformation in multiple areas. He should instill a cultural reorientation for the cloud and work across a number of distributed teams and disciplines.
- Define and implement governance procedures within each and across cloud platforms, as failure to define, implement and audit governance policies can lead to data losses, security breaches or overspending on cloud services.
- Establish and plan a multi-provider strategy, and begin the process of evaluating, onboarding and integrating with different providers. Learn the cloud providers’ native services and evaluate third-party tooling options while developing multi-provider management strategy.
- Invest in and design your hybrid architecture. Develop a hybrid infrastructure that will enable your organization to consume cloud services at scale and include a strategy for integrating network, security, data and services across multiple cloud providers. With cloud-managed infrastructure services, improve your IT management capabilities, analytics and better your asset flexibility.
- Rethink your data protection strategy by developing such a data protection architecture that not only mitigates risks but also help you deliver seamless availability, demanded by your end users.
Get step by step assistance for your cloud journey, visit: https://www.znetlive.com/cloud-management-overview/
Services ZNetLive offer:
Latest posts by Lipika (see all)
- 8 Tips to Choose a Domain Name for Your Website/Blog in 2019 - July 7, 2019
- I have started a blog. How can I increase blog traffic? - October 24, 2018
- What is the best way to start making money online with affiliate marketing? - July 5, 2018