When it comes to IT infrastructure, servers are the heroes who work behind the scenes dedicatedly, to fulfill users’ requests and provide services. Whichever one you go with – dedicated server or cloud VPS or any other web hosting server depending upon the utility and purpose, it must be aligned well and should be made ready to support your business goals and its growth velocity.
For this, it is important that you pay attention to server administration tasks, which include software maintenance, server security audits and updates, monitoring of server activities and ensuring the availability of client/server applications, refining and developing ongoing server management processes and installing new server implementations as and when needed.
However, these server related tasks are time consuming and if these are automated, it will save crucial time and will simplify server environments too.
In automating them, control panel plays an important role. The panel takes care of everyday tasks and above all provides peace of mind at a reasonable cost.
It’s been over a decade that Plesk has been easing server administration and management.
The leading web hosting control panel for administrators-Hosting Service Providers and Web Pros.
Plesk enables its users to manage various aspects of their web presence and control different server management operations- server backup, PHP settings configuration of PHP settings, etc.
Plesk offers a web based interface –Server Administration Panel to the hosting providers and web pros, enabling them to perform server and account management tasks along with web hosting operations. This panel helps server administrators to set up new websites, create hosting plans, customer accounts, e-mail accounts, configure server-wide system services settings, and so on.
@Plesk we manage more than 20 servers and all of them are running with Plesk. I don’t know to make my job without it.
— Dámaso Velázquez (@damasovelazquez) March 3, 2017
Thus, Plesk helps in administering complete system services from a single web interface, while reducing maintenance costs and giving more control and flexibility to the server administrators. It enables easy server administration with the following options:
1. IP address management – Every server administrator assigns a unique IP per user. So, while allocating IP addresses to the users, it is important to group IP addresses for further management and usage. One needs to be careful while assigning unique IP address to each client and configure each client individually.
Plesk offers an IP Pool to the administrators, helping them to group IP addresses together.
To view the collection of IP addresses, you just need to log in to your Plesk panel and follow Tools & Settings > IP Addresses (in the Tools & Resources section). It allows you to add, remove, update and even hide IP address from the server.
2. Scheduling tasks and server settings – Plesk offers task scheduler facility which you can use on your server to run the scripts automatically. It also allows you to filter the tasks by command, by subscription, or by schedule.
Server settings section of Plesk server admin panel includes a set of parameters related to statistics, and multiple other options such as server-wide permissions for customers.
3. Server updates– Plesk Onyx provides server administrators with a system updates tool (only for Linux) that uses operating system package managers’ functionality – yum and apt, to install updates. This easy to use tool helps administrators in keeping their servers up to date, monitoring and keeping packages also up-to-date.
It comes enabled in Plesk by default and allows an admin to view updates that are available, manage individual or mass package updating, locking and unlocking packages and configuring update related notifications.
4. System Monitoring– Monitoring is the best way to troubleshoot the server performance problems. Plesk makes it easy by offering system monitoring solution –Watchdog component that promises malware free server and free disk space on the server and efficiently running services.
The Watchdog scans the server file system for backdoors, rootkits, trojan horses, exploits and other malicious software.
5. Protection against brute force attacks – The best and automated way to block brute force attacks is to ban the IP address. Fail2Ban is the IP address banning solution that Plesk introduced to protect the server from networks and IP addresses that produce malicious traffic. You just need to install it on your server.
It also enables ModSecurity to detect and prevent attacks against web applications.
6. Backups and restoration -Plesk offers the best backup manager tool to help administrators create and manage safe backups on their own as per specific needs. With the data backup functions of Plesk, you can create and schedule backups for the entire server, individual user accounts with websites and individual subscriptions. You can also restore data from backup archives in Plesk.
7. Migration– Plesk control panel offers Plesk Migrator that helps you transfer service plans, subscriptions with all domains (associated) and websites with content – websites, mail, databases, and more.
Besides above mentioned tools, Plesk offers multi server environment which provides centralized account management across multiple Plesk servers and easy WordPress management via WP Toolkit, ready to code environment, Git Integration, Docker support and more.
So, spend less time on server administration, get Plesky!